Project Title: Developing suitable pedagogical methods for various classes, intellectual calibres and research in e-learning (Main Phase)
Centre for Educational Technology, IIT Kharagpur (Anchor)
Name of Partner Institute: IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay ,IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, NIT Trichi, BIT Mesra, NIT Warangal ,NIT Durgapur ,NIT Rourkela, SVNIT Surat, Amrita University, SASTRA University, IIIT Hyderabad IIIT Bangalore
Principal Investigator: Dr. Bani Bhattacharya
Co-Principal-Investigators: Prof. Anup Kumar Ray , Prof. Khanindra Pathak , Dr. Shyamal Kumar Das Mandal
Sponsor: Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India
This project is an experiment to systematically design and develop learner-centric curricula, suitable for outcome-based learning for 4 year degree programmes in six major engineering disciplines. This project is NOT, yet another attempt to develop content, although each curriculum document is expected to include around 80 pages of course notes and 120-125 self assessment problems and solutions. All development and review activities will be carried out collaboratively, using a specially designed web tool. A large number of motivated and experienced faculty members trained in pedagogy of teaching-learning, drawn from a diverse range of institutions across the nation are expected to participate in the development and the review process. The decision to involve such a wide section of faculty experts across India is deliberate, mainly to enhance acceptance and ownership.
- UG engineering students need to take considerably more responsibility for their own learning than is the case at present.
- Learning to learn, communication skills, working in groups are to be important learning outcomes in addition to domain specific knowledge.
- Within limits, learners be allowed to follow their own pace, learning styles so that individual differences are largely taken care of.
- Allow continuous improvement in curricula, incorporation of better Open Educational Resource, more effective teaching ?learning strategies as teachers, students, experts, users continue to give valuable inputs through course websites.
- Healthy online debates on course objectives, teaching-learning strategies, evaluation methods to benefit all concerned.
- Develop outcomes based curriculum documents for 200 UG level one semester duration courses for 6 engineering disciplines (CE, EE, ME, ECE, CSE, Chem. E. ---25x6 core + elective courses / discipline, covering 3rd to 8th semester; 15 common courses covering 1st and 2nd semesters and 35 interdisciplinary/ miscellaneous courses)
- Each course curriculum to be collaboratively developed by a team of 2-3 faculty members drawn from 17 reasonably good institutions spread across India using a specially developed web tool. All courses are to be reviewed by domain as well as pedagogic experts before trials.
- Each curriculum document is to be designed for a 40 unit course and is to contain:
- Course overview; well defined course objectives; module overview; module objectives; unit objectives (expressed as specific objectives)
- Around 100 unit level (one unit is equivalent to one hour class room instruction) original, nontrivial problems/assignments with solution(s); around 15 module level problems and solution(s)and 2-3 course level problems with solution(s). All problems must be explicitly linked to one or more instructional objectives.
- Suggested module level learning strategies, which should include references to selected learning resources (books, journals, websites, simulations, video lectures and virtual labs ? as appropriate).
- Two page summary of all units
- All courses are to be made available as OER under creative commons on a specially designed website (that also doubles up as the development tool)
Train 3000+ faculty members (including all development team members and as many reviewers as possible) through hands-on workshops, in the pedagogic principles (Blooms Taxonomy, writing instructional objectives, outcomes-based learning, formative evaluations, flip teaching etc.)
- Outcome-based Curricula for 200 UG level Engineering Courses covering 6 Engineering Disciplines: CE; EE; ME; ECE; CSE; Chem. E and First Year Courses
- Open Source Web-based Pedagogy Framework tool for designing, reviewing, monitoring and publishing Outcome-based Curricula
- All Universities / Institutions are able to use the above developed web-tool to develop their own Outcome based curricula / adapt / adopt the curricula already being developed nationally.
- Conduct Training Programmes for more than 5000 Engineering Faculty members of different institutions across the country for Instructional System Design, Pedagogy, out come based Curriculum Design.